Before you read anything, please remember these:
1. I'm nobody. Nobody is perfect. So I am PERFECT :D
2. If you find anything wrong with my blog, please refer to #1...

Thursday, February 07, 2013

The English Patient: Hope

I have to admit that The English Patient enthralls me more than any other novels. Not only is the plot intriguing, but also does it allow room for imagination. Having read for a few more days, I get a better understanding of the story and discover what the author tries to convey. Hana, the nurse who takes care of the burnt patient, refuses to leave the war zone and insists that she remain to take care of the patient. The novel thus describes how she lives under the devastating circumstance while not losing her hope. In the meantime, this quality of not giving up can be related to our lives.  For instance, many of us relinquish so easily when we face a challenge or fail a task. However, if we could be patient and hope for the better, like what hana does, then things might turn out for the better.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Martin~
    Why do you think Hana is not leaving the war zone?
    Do you think she can maintain that attitude no matter what? If not, what events do you think can discourage Hana's fortitude and make her wish to go back home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...
    I think shes not leaving cuz she's afraid of someone or some people in the town where the troop has moved in. Up to the point where I'm reading, I find out that Hana has an enigmatic relationship with Caravaggio the thief, and she appears to be unpleasantly shocked when he comes to see her. This, in my opinion, indicates that Hana has a few old acquaintances in town and may not want them to know about her presence.
    Hana definitely remains cool with whatever that happens around her. However, if there is one thing that can move her, it will be time. As she stays in the place longer, there must be one day when she finally decides to move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see a lot of thought process in your writing, and the main question i had is that Hana definetly shares a close tie to the patient. However is it love or care? I dont want to spoil the book, but I think Hana doesnt stay with the patient out of love, but rather for comfort and duty. She had duty to care for her patients, but after the war she no longer had obligations, she would stay at her own will, yet the will she drew from seems to be a desire to escape from reality and seek comfort in isolation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I think she'll live the villa when the English patient dies and her duty as a nurse is done, even though I'm not sure if he really dies in the story yet. Because Hana refused to move to a safer place because of the patient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^Thank you for the spoiler you bum, the patient not being relocated was disappointing. I honestly dislike romance stories that end off badly.

    ReplyDelete